Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Yummy




Warming to my theme somewhat, I am rather saddened to see that the latest in Mockney-unfriendly cuisine comes not from Inverness but from Kiev. Tis lovely, mind. 'ave a look, why don't you:

Forget deep-fried Mars bar. One of the unhealthiest snacks in the world can now be found in Ukraine. For years people here have loved pork fat, known as salo. Normally, small slices of the white fat are eaten with black bread, raw garlic and vodka. But this new twist is designed to appeal to Ukraine's love of all things fatty. For the equivalent of £1 you can now get four small sticks of salo covered in chocolate at Kiev's poshest Ukrainian restaurant.

Allow me to reiterate: it's fat, covered in chocolate. Personally I'd be far more inclined to go with the black bread, raw garlic and vodka accompaniment option, but then I'm an anti-social bastard, so that makes complete sense.

Not sure that the sales patter is really as sophisticated as it might be, mind:

"Young girl, come and try my tasty salo, it's super salo," Katya Feschenko shouts to me. Katya is the salo queen at Kiev's busy Bessarabska Market. Slabs of white fat sit next to spare ribs and hunks of bacon on her stall.


Altogether now....mmmmmmmm.

No comments: