Search This Blog

Friday, December 01, 2006

Don’t stand too close

If you’ve got a pacemaker, you’ll be very pleased to know that that cute Nessie-shaped fridge magnet you brought back from your summer trip to Scotland, or it’s hilarious neighbour, the mini pair of plastic magnet breasts purchased on Blackpool seafront, may actually kill you:

'Fridge magnets and decorative jewellery could be a killer if you have a weak heart, experts warn. A strong type of magnet used in many new commercial products can interfere with pacemakers and implanted heart devices with deadly consequences. Close contact - within about 3cm - with a neodymium magnet is enough to destabilise these life-saving heart devices, Heart Rhythm journal reports.
Because of their high magnetic field strength and low production costs, the magnets are being used in computer hard drives, headphones and hi-fi speakers, as well as toys, jewellery and even clothes.'


Now THAT’S what I call a design fault.

No comments: