Search This Blog

Monday, March 03, 2008

Mature thinking

Erm.... Jacqueline love, as one of the most popular children's authors in the country, who writes on subjects like children living in care, children with troubled tattooed mothers and children with dead mates that they talk to... do you not think there is something a WEE bit hypocritical in complaining that kids are maturing too quickly?

'Children's author Dame Jacqueline Wilson has expressed concern that youngsters are growing up too quickly.
"I think children act like adults at an alarmingly early age," said the Tracy Beaker creator.
"It's good that we want the best for our children nowadays, but perhaps we should remember they are only children and need a little loving guidance."
Her remarks came as a poll suggested that more than half of parents believe childhood is now over by 11.
The 62-year-old author, who has been writing for more than 35 years, said: "Nearly all the children in my books want to wear make-up and dye their hair and pierce their ears. Because I write in the first person people often assume that this is my point of view - but I'm actually pretty strict and old-fashioned.
"I know girls are desperate to look cool.
"But I wish they didn't all want to wear very high heels and inappropriately tight, trendy clothes."'

"Nearly all the children in my books want to wear make-up and die their hair and pierce their ears".

Hmmmm.... Wonder where our prematurely maturing pre-teens get the idea from?

1 comment:

urmynv said...

My dear Jo, are you presuming the adolescent girls are reading books?!