Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Eye for an Eye

Well, thank you very much, NICE. It seems that you've finally "decided" that it's a wee bit unfair to offer sight-saving drugs to people in Scotland on the NHS, while allowing people in England and Wales to go blind, forbidden access to the most up-to-date (and therefore prohibitively expensive) AMD drugs. "We'll give you the treatment after you've already gone blind. Seems logical to me," you said.

This is the kind of fucking blood-vessel-burstingly upsetting nonsense that sick people in England have to deal with all the time, of course, despite the fact that taxpayers in this country heavily subsidise the vastly superior NHS treatment available to the Scottish people, who repay us not with gratitude but by...erm.... hating us.

Still, AMD sufferers in this country might just get a fair deal now, and that is a good thing. It's just a fucking shame for all those people who've already GONE blind in one or more eye, isn't it? Because let me tell you, they're REALLY NOT VERY FUCKING HAPPY TODAY.

Now let's see if Gordon's government can come up with an even VAGUELY logical or sane reason why Scottish people are given their higher education for free, while the rest of us have to pay for it...

'All patients in England suffering from a disease which causes blindness are to get access to a sight-saving drug.
Lucentis treats wet age-related macular degeneration, the leading cause of sight loss in the country.
The drug is already available in Scotland, while Wales and Northern Ireland have said they will fund it.
The National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) had originally said patients should wait until they went blind in one eye.
The suggestion, made last summer, caused an outcry from campaigners and doctors, prompting a U-turn by the NHS advisory body in December.'

1 comment:

urmynv said...

"... patients should wait until they went blind in one eye."

Amazing! That's just fantastic.

A few years ago, my appendix attacked me. It swelled up to the bursting point, and when I was getting scans done at hospital, the damned thing suddenly started to just shrink and get better. The doctor said that it defied science, and that it never happens like that. He even called in other off-duty surgeons to take a look at the boy with the freakish shrinking appendix. As my army medical coverage was set to expire, I asked him to go ahead and remove it since it was obviously defective (and it had tried to kill me). Then he dropped this fantastic bit on me... "Well, I'd love too, you see, but the thing is.. our hippocratic oath prevents me from operating on healthy tissue. Your appendix was not healthy and hour ago, but now it is. So therefore, it would be unethical for me to remove it."

As it happened, my medical coverage expired a month later, and one month after that, my appendix inflamed once again and had to be removed. But the cost had to be paid entirely out of my own pocket by this point.

Fucking doctors.

Anyhow. The bit about not receiving medicines until one eye has gone reminded me of said "hippocratic oath."